moggy
User

Re: ZON-X Soundmodul - wieder ein Projekt

Beitrag von moggy » 28.04.2017, 16:56

ZX-Heinz hat geschrieben:
28.04.2017, 16:45
moggy hat geschrieben:
28.04.2017, 16:36
Regardless of textbook theory concerning resistor values it works from a listening perspective which is all that should matter, try not to over-think it :wink:
You're completely right. I would like to see the scheme of the AY in the ZXpand. Do you have a link?
I don't think Charlie has actually ever posted a scheme for the AY, although he did once say he uses the "golden ratio" scheme for his resistor network (whatever that means).

I have one of his prototype ZXpand + which still uses that plan and that is what I use with my Zonx wired for stereo using 2.2k resistors for turbosound and whilst I do not have the brain for the technical stuff I do feel the stereo is more gentle and not so left /right side to side as in current schemes and it does drive my mixing desk a bit easier with these values.

ZX-Heinz
User

Beitrag von ZX-Heinz » 28.04.2017, 17:09

I see. Do you use the TS-player?

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 28.04.2017, 17:20

I use a modified experimental version of it created by Charlie which allows the old Zonx unit to keep its port address which I believe is fixed on such an old device and the more flexible prototype Zxpand+ uses another set of ports. This way I can use turbo sound player for the six channel stuff and when I go back to three channel players/trackers the Zonx plays whilst the ZXpand+, stays silent.

It started as an experiment to see if an old Zonx could work along side a more modern AY board without having to use different boards, GAL's etc and also to mix the sound of the Yamaha chip with the more rough sounding General Instruments Zonx chip and to my old ears it sounds nice. :lol:

For composing I use two zeddies side by side running the ZX tracker program and write three tracks on each at the same time and when not injecting them into the desk directly I use the only emulator capable of running the tracker(SZ-81) plus a software "trick" to convert into WAV files for further processing in audacity.

ZX-Heinz
User

Beitrag von ZX-Heinz » 28.04.2017, 23:36

@moggy: Interesting! I use two MrX-sound cards on a ZX81NU, one for the addreesses #DF/#1F, the other for BF/#3F. The TS-player was modified to these addresses, and I got a big library of 6-channel pieces from yerz, among them breakspaces, earport, funkye, motherboard. Charlie gave me hung (abba).
If you are a composer, it would be nice to get some pieces from you. I also will try to write a player in Forth to play the pieces "online" from the USB-stick byte by byte whithout loading them before into the RAM. For this I need more information about the structure of the music files. Could you also help in this direction?

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 29.04.2017, 15:41

ZX-Heinz hat geschrieben:
28.04.2017, 23:36
@moggy: Interesting! I use two MrX-sound cards on a ZX81NU, one for the addreesses #DF/#1F, the other for BF/#3F. The TS-player was modified to these addresses, and I got a big library of 6-channel pieces from yerz, among them breakspaces, earport, funkye, motherboard. Charlie gave me hung (abba).
If you are a composer, it would be nice to get some pieces from you. I also will try to write a player in Forth to play the pieces "online" from the USB-stick byte by byte whithout loading them before into the RAM. For this I need more information about the structure of the music files. Could you also help in this direction?
Hallo Heinz.

I do not compose by the same method as yerz and other chip tune composers,that is to say complete chip tune songs. I use the Zeddy alongside traditional instruments and record and edit it like a guitar or drum set so what I write for the tracker tends to be pieces to be used in a larger composition of a more old school nature. I have composed the odd chip tune piece here and there but because my old fashioned sound is nothing like say a game demo or traditional chip tune I don't think there is much interest for it.

As for the technical side to it I, like yerz, know how to use the songs but don't understand the technical structure of them but there is one man on the UK forum who is the opposite. He is not a musician but totally knows how the AY STC PT3 structure is put together and he is Andy Rea the creator of the ZX tracker. I would contact him via PM as he tends not visit the forum too often these days and I'm sure he can answer all your questions. :)

Your idea for "streaming" ,if that is the correct word, the song data is intriguing because whilst it may not have a great use for AY (small file size) it could have an impact on at least one future MIDI project that is being experimented with. Decent MIDI files can be anything up to 300k which prohibits on-board storage so would need to be "streamed" from a card or stick rather than placed in memory and what you propose for AY would be of a greater use for any future MIDI project. :D

Antworten