ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

SPC Club Forum
Dandare
User

Re: ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

Beitrag von Dandare » 07.04.2018, 20:47

Nothing happens at all?, not even a loading screen?
Did you type (load "", enter) after selecting the TAP file in the nano?
(Remember you need a tap file, not a rom file)

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 07.04.2018, 20:50

The dandanator.jar only creates ROMs not TAPs.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 07.04.2018, 20:57

I'm not so sure about it, and I should know what it does ;)

Please read the manual or a couple of post above. Actually the one you quoted:
" menu extra--> export to tap/divide.
Zuletzt geändert von Dandare am 09.04.2018, 01:17, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 07.04.2018, 20:59

Great :oops: ...i really overlooked that option ...

Thanks.

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 08.04.2018, 15:34

Still no luck updating the Nand. Tried it a 1000 times with different romsets created with the dandanator tool exported to .tap (tried your adventure romset on your page too).

The flashing always went fine ...

b.jpg
b.jpg (60.56 KiB) 918 mal betrachtet

... but after a reboot i only get this screen.

a.jpg
a.jpg (68.47 KiB) 918 mal betrachtet

Luzie
User

Beitrag von Luzie » 08.04.2018, 15:58

TrainingForUtopia hat geschrieben:
08.04.2018, 15:34
Still no luck updating the Nand. Tried it a 1000 times with different romsets created with the dandanator tool exported to .tap (tried your adventure romset on your page too).

The flashing always went fine ...
... but after a reboot i only get this screen.
Updated the PIC as described here?: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2019&start=75#p26461

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 08.04.2018, 16:19

Yes, but i'm getting the same error while pressing both buttons during the restart.

Never had any problems with different interfaces, but this one seems to be bewitched.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 08.04.2018, 17:36

TrainingForUtopia hat geschrieben:
08.04.2018, 16:19
Yes, but i'm getting the same error while pressing both buttons during the restart.

Never had any problems with different interfaces, but this one seems to be bewitched.
If you get to that full green-squares screen, the flashing went ok.

I would recommend we get slowly to the root cause as, up until now, everything was just a series of misinterpretations.

A full stripe screen like the one you're getting is indicating that the memory is empty (all 0xff).
Would you please check you actually have a SST39SF040 memory chip?
Also, what happens if you boot with re left button pressed?

What happens if you press the right button once you see the stripes?

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 08.04.2018, 18:39

Yes, it's definitely the one with the SST39SF040. Dandanator 2.1.
... left button pressed
Stripes ...
What happens if you press the right button once you see the stripes?
It "resets" to the stripes again.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 08.04.2018, 19:38

Then I would narrow it down to a hardware failure in the Write part of the memory. Either a track/via on the PCB is not ok, or a solder point is dry/fragmented or the (most likely brown) plcc32 socket is acting weird.

As a last resort I would try lifting a bit the top right side of the memory, just 1-2 mm so the memory is kind of diagonally inserted in the socket.
Then reload the content using the tap file.
I've encountered some failing sockets in the past.

If nothing else works I would suggest you talk to the seller and ask for a replacement.

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 08.04.2018, 21:46

Great ...

I think, that zaxon would take the blame to other people (like me), 'cause i'm resonsible for the flashing. He would never take back this crap. And there will be too much effort to send the garbage back to him.

I'll check the tracks & solder joints the next weekend, when i've some spare time. Hey, i revived a completely broken Acorn A3000, so i should be able to "repair" this tiny piece of hardware ... hopefully ... :roll:

But it is not that easy to locate the cause of the problem. Here are two pics and many eyes see better than two ... but i'll measure the tracks anyway.

c.jpg
c.jpg (112.15 KiB) 870 mal betrachtet
d.jpg
d.jpg (111.26 KiB) 870 mal betrachtet

Btw ... thanks.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 08.04.2018, 22:52

well, the memory is clearly not an SST39SF040. That's your problem.

I programmed the write parameters specifically for a SST39SF040. That one looks like an AMD AM29F040, and its programming algorithms are way different. It could work as "READ" but never as "WRITE" in a dandanator.

why did you tell me it had a SST39SF040 chip? Did it come with a different chip?

If this was the chip it came with, you could ask Zaxon for a SST39SF040 chip, THE ONLY memory chip supported, as it is written all over the documentation, schematics and even in the PCB itself. You could also buy that chip for around 2€ in an electronic shop.

Also, your kempston interface will not work unless you put a jumper where it says "joystick".

It's an easy fix, just replace the memory and load the tap again. This time it will work in one try, as it's designed to do.

And now some off-topic comment:
I understand you're upset because this is not working for you, but I don't really appreciate a dandanator being call "crap", "garbage", "bewitched" or "completely wrong"
The way I see it you didn't read right that the DivSD was in fact supported, then you didn't follow the manual to update via a Divide's TAP. Then you told me you had an specific memory chip that, actually, you didn't, when I asked it explicitly because it looked that it could be the problem. And, in fact, it is the problem.
I did this for free and made it public domain so anyone can make them or even modify them. I have no affiliation whatsoever with Zaxon or any other seller of the product nor I have ever (nor want to) earned any money on these. I actually encourage everyone to make, and even improve, their own board.
There are now up to 1.300 dandanators on the field, as far as I know, and I'm really happy people are enjoying it. That was my goal from the get go.
Like any other retro development, there are literally thousands of work hours, by several people, put in the dandanator. You don't have to like it, you can even criticize it. It's your prerogative, but at least consider all that lies behind these kind of projects.

TrainingForUtopia

Beitrag von TrainingForUtopia » 08.04.2018, 23:34

Well ...

I'm NOT responsibly for the fact, that zaxon sells this one with the wrong chips. It is an AM29F040B.
1.jpg
1.jpg (69.63 KiB) 850 mal betrachtet
There is a print on the PCB "SST39SF040" and i put my trust in that and why i shouldn't? I never thought, that a guy like him sells it with the wrong chips (at sellmyretro)! It is NOT my fault. It came with the 6.7 firmware and i thought, that everything is ok ... until i wanted to update the firmware. And there is no jumper for the kempston, 'cause i don't want to use it. I never mentioned a problem with the kempston.´, so what are you talking about?

I never insulted YOU in any way and i never said, that you have something to do with zaxon, so i really don't know what's going wrong with you.

And "bewitched" was a joke ... "crap" & "garbage" is only regarding zaxons versions. You should read carefully too.

Anyway, thanks for your help (i said this some times before) again and i'll leave the field as a human with some failures. I've overseen some things, but maybe you are without any failures. I hate

I'm done. Delete my account. Over & out.

Nobody talks to me like that.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 09.04.2018, 00:24

Again, your prerogative. :)

BTW, I make a lot of mistakes but I don't usually blame other people for them.

spezzi63
User

Beitrag von spezzi63 » 09.04.2018, 05:03

Hello,
I suppose with a programmer the chip can be programmed.
This way is still open to you.
Otherwise, order the right chip for the next order.
With little effort, the identified problem can be solved ;)
Greeting,
Günter

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 09.04.2018, 07:24

I really appreciate all the efforts Daniel put into his Dandanator and the fact he´s helping people here on our forum!

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 09.04.2018, 12:09

Thanks schombi. :D

I know this is a bit off-topic in this forum, but take a look of what is coming next:
CPC Dandanator.png
CPC Dandanator.png (97.21 KiB) 782 mal betrachtet

Grautier
User

Beitrag von Grautier » 10.04.2018, 09:31

schombi hat geschrieben:
09.04.2018, 07:24
I really appreciate all the efforts Daniel put into his Dandanator and the fact he´s helping people here on our forum!
Genau! Alle die anderer Meinung sind, sollen ruhig ihren Account löschen, die Klappe halten und in die Ecke schmollen gehen :D
Ich freue mich schon auf den CPC-Dandanator!

Antworten