ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

SPC Club Forum
schombi
User

Re: ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

Beitrag von schombi » 16.02.2017, 19:22

Great news, thanks a lot! Will have to try that out ASAP.

Edit: Successfully updated :D

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 13.03.2017, 19:00

Daniel hat eín Preview Video online gestellt, welches CP/M auf dem Dandanator zeigt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIQ1o4 ... e=youtu.be

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 19.03.2017, 06:06

Auf der Dandanator Webseite:
v6.4 beta released. It contains a new Board Firmware with faster command speed and solves minor issues. This firmware is needed for the CP/M software. CP/M Disk creator for Dandanator beta is released. Both can be found in the downloads section.

msch
User

Beitrag von msch » 19.03.2017, 09:08

Hat cp/m jemand am laufen? Würde mir das gerne in Mahlerts mal ansehen.
manche meinen lechts und rinks kann man nicht velwechsern.
werch ein illtum! (lichtung, Ernst Jandl)

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 16.05.2017, 01:42

6.5 version released and available for downloading at the Project website.

• - Pause function. (multiface style) It works on most games/roms. Press the left dandanator button to pause, then any key to resume. Bonus: AY music is also paused ;)
    - Autolaunch of game on boot. Now you can enable the romset to load the first game of the list on cold boot. Right button always loads the menu.
    - ZX Diagnostics 0.35 included. Freshly compiled by Brendan Alford.
    - Divide/DIvmmc update improved. A 6.5 exported TAP can now update any dandanator, regardless of its firmware version. The Extras menu has an option to update older Dandanator TAPS.
Remember to update the firmware of your dandanator, once a 6.5 romset is installed, by booting with both buttons pressed.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 16.05.2017, 07:16

Thanks a lot, Daniel. Great to see constant improvements and ongoing development. I will update my Dandanator as soon as time allows.

Could you please share some more details on the comment "Note to all Dandanator 2.0 owners: Please, remove capacitor C4 for the pause function to work properly. V1.0 and 2.1 boards do not need any modification.". What is the problem, resp. what are the symptoms?

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 16.05.2017, 08:44

Hi, let me know how it works for you :)

About the 2.0 board fix:
C4 is there to keep a constant voltage, filtering any noise, to the SST memory chip.
It should have been connected between 5v and ground, the closest to the chip, the better.
Unfortunately, I made a mistake and connected it to the pull-up resistor that ensures that the memory is disabled on boot and there are no conflicts with the internal rom.

The result of this is that activations and deactivations of the external memory take microseconds instead of nanoseconds, as the C4 capacitor charges or discharges.
The symptom is that the game hangs because the nmi routine is not there when needed. It's coming late :).

This is no problem for regular memory switching, happening when launching a game, since the z80 software takes longer than these microseconds.

However, when doing a pause, the board must change the rom in a very short time, to attend the NMI with an external rom (hint: the nmi pause routine is in the second memory slot). Kind of changing roms in the middle of an instruction. This does not play well with the delay introduced by the capacitor.

I tried to compensate it by software (I can detect whether the software is running in a 2.0 PCB or not), but it has to be adjusted to every individual spectrum, depending on its z80, real resistors value and shape of the internal capacitors, as they have an impact on the discharge and detection of levels. So it's a no go, although I got this fix working in my development spectrum.

The board is pretty well filtered. Two other filtering capacitors are there, close to the gal and the pic, and they compensate for the lack of c4, so removing c4 shall not have any negative effect on the circuit. It's also pretty straightforward.

In any case, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sorry for the long answer but, hey! You asked ;)

Paul
User

Beitrag von Paul » 16.05.2017, 08:49

Thanks for the long answer, I'm glad schombi asked. I would have missed this information otherwise.
Kind regards Paul
Theoretisch ist zwischen Theorie und Praxis kein Unterschied.
Praktisch allerdings wohl.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 24.05.2017, 15:46

I finally managed to update my Dandanator 2.0 to version 6.5.

Maybe it´s just me and my poor brain, but, Daniel, could you give a few more details on "Divide/DIvmmc update improved. A 6.5 exported TAP can now update any dandanator, regardless of its firmware version. The Extras menu has an option to update older Dandanator TAPS."? What exactly happens and which steps need to be taken? I understood the intention, but I´m struggling with the two different DivIDE entries on the menu. Thanks!

Jungsi
User

Beitrag von Jungsi » 27.05.2017, 15:11

Ich hab heute mal mein modifziertes Dandanator V1.0 aktualisiert
1. Im Rom Generator: Extras -> Export to DivIDE/TAP
2. DivMMC hinter Dandanator anschließen (beim DivMMC Kempston abschalten)
3. Spectrum Einschalten - Load "" eingeben
4. NMI am DivMMC drücken - vorher erstellte TAP laden

"Upgrade DivIDE TAP" bedeutet wohl nur eine bereits erstmal erstellte TAP-Datei zu aktualisieren

Das Upgrade funktioniert übrigens auch mit dem divMMC Future. Da man hier den Joystick-Port nicht abschalten kann bin ich nicht sicher
ob hier das Update auch mit dem Dandanator V2 klappt -> Quatsch - man kann ja auch den Joystick-Port am Dandanator mit Jumper abschalten ;-)
Vieles rund um Sinclair und andere Retro-Computer:
http://www.jungsi.de

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 27.05.2017, 15:22

Aha, das war mir nicht klar. Danke, Gerhard. Ich habe zudem mit meinem Dandanator 2.0 oft das Problem, dass er, wenn er zusammen mit dem DivIDE am Spectrum haengt, mir links oben auf dem Flash-Bildschirn eine Bombe anzeigt, das heisst, die Software sieht den Dandanator nicht. Nach ca. 200.000 Versuchen klappte es dann. Kontakte sind aber sauber. Irgendwie tritt das seit Version 2.3 oder 2.4 auf; zuvor hatte ich keine Probleme mit dem Update. Dubios.

Luzie
User

Beitrag von Luzie » 28.05.2017, 11:03

schombi hat geschrieben:
27.05.2017, 15:22
Ich habe zudem mit meinem Dandanator 2.0 oft das Problem, dass er, wenn er zusammen mit dem DivIDE am Spectrum haengt, mir links oben auf dem Flash-Bildschirn eine Bombe anzeigt, das heisst, die Software sieht den Dandanator nicht. Nach ca. 200.000 Versuchen klappte es dann. Kontakte sind aber sauber.
Nun wollte ich mein Dandanator Mini v2.0, welches ich in Mahlerts erworben hatte, mal aktualisieren. Habe es zuerst mit divIDE und dann divMMC probiert. Noch keine 200.000 mal, aber vielleicht 5x. Geht nicht und hängt einfach mit der von Schombi beschriebenen Bombe. Joystick-Interface am divMMC ist aus. Hmm. Was könnte ich noch tun außer es noch 195.995 mal zu probieren ?! :shock: (Den Spectrum den ich benutze, ist ein Toastrack).

Update: Habe mal einen anderen Toastrack probiert, da der erste bei mir mit "Dandanator 2.0 Mini geht nicht" beschriftet war :roll:
Dann war zuerst auch nichts besser. Zuletzt habe ich dann die rechte Dandanator-Taste gedrückt gehalten und dann über divMMC/MNI-Menu die mit der Software erstellte Update-Datei "dandanator_divide_romset.tap" geladen und siehe da, jetzt hat er angefangen zu flashen...

...danach hies es: Spectrum aussschalten und divIDE abziehen...

Zu früh gefreut: Wenn ich nun den Dandanator angesteckt habe, booten meine Toastracks nur noch in einen "Random-Coloured-Screen" :cry:
@Paul: Kannst du mir da vielleicht irgendwie helfen indem zu das EPROM bei dir neu flashen tust? Ich würde dir dann den Dandanator schicken und du könntest mir die Platinenschienen aus dem anderen Thread gleich mit zurück schicken?!

Update: Nun darf ich doch wieder lachen. Habe das ganze nochmals gemacht plus den Schritt "Update PIC" danach läuft mein Dandanator wieder und jetzt mit Firmware v6.5 :D

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 28.05.2017, 13:28

schombi hat geschrieben:
24.05.2017, 15:46
I finally managed to update my Dandanator 2.0 to version 6.5.

Maybe it´s just me and my poor brain, but, Daniel, could you give a few more details on "Divide/DIvmmc update improved. A 6.5 exported TAP can now update any dandanator, regardless of its firmware version. The Extras menu has an option to update older Dandanator TAPS."? What exactly happens and which steps need to be taken? I understood the intention, but I´m struggling with the two different DivIDE entries on the menu. Thanks!
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I was on a trip :)

Any new tap created by the 6.5 software will work regardless your 6.x firmware on the dandanator. On 6.4 we did change the communications protocol a bit and it was a pain to upgrade from divide, so we fixed this.
For this option, you need to export tap/divide as always.

In cas you have old exported taps, they will not work with 6.4+ firmware on the board (you'll get a bomb) unless you upgrade them with the new menu option. This option will only change the way the tap is loaded, but the romset itself will remain unchanged, even the embedded firmware, so you could potentially "downgrade" your board firmware again.

Hope this helps.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 28.05.2017, 13:33

Jungsi hat geschrieben:
27.05.2017, 15:11
Ich hab heute mal mein modifziertes Dandanator V1.0 aktualisiert
1. Im Rom Generator: Extras -> Export to DivIDE/TAP
2. DivMMC hinter Dandanator anschließen (beim DivMMC Kempston abschalten)
3. Spectrum Einschalten - Load "" eingeben
4. NMI am DivMMC drücken - vorher erstellte TAP laden

"Upgrade DivIDE TAP" bedeutet wohl nur eine bereits erstmal erstellte TAP-Datei zu aktualisieren

Das Upgrade funktioniert übrigens auch mit dem divMMC Future. Da man hier den Joystick-Port nicht abschalten kann bin ich nicht sicher
ob hier das Update auch mit dem Dandanator V2 klappt -> Quatsch - man kann ja auch den Joystick-Port am Dandanator mit Jumper abschalten ;-)
Hi Jungsi, you are correct. I don't know exactly how the DivMMC future kempston port is implemented since there are no schematics and I don't own one. However, if they have followed the standard, it should work.
Please, test if the pin 8 of the DivMMC future joystick connector is GND, then it will most likely work.
Indeed, you shouldn't have two kempston interfaces attaches, so please, take out the joystick jumper on the dandanator if plugging the DivMMC future or any other kempston interface.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 28.05.2017, 13:38

Luzie hat geschrieben:
28.05.2017, 11:03
schombi hat geschrieben:
27.05.2017, 15:22
Ich habe zudem mit meinem Dandanator 2.0 oft das Problem, dass er, wenn er zusammen mit dem DivIDE am Spectrum haengt, mir links oben auf dem Flash-Bildschirn eine Bombe anzeigt, das heisst, die Software sieht den Dandanator nicht. Nach ca. 200.000 Versuchen klappte es dann. Kontakte sind aber sauber.
Nun wollte ich mein Dandanator Mini v2.0, welches ich in Mahlerts erworben hatte, mal aktualisieren. Habe es zuerst mit divIDE und dann divMMC probiert. Noch keine 200.000 mal, aber vielleicht 5x. Geht nicht und hängt einfach mit der von Schombi beschriebenen Bombe. Joystick-Interface am divMMC ist aus. Hmm. Was könnte ich noch tun außer es noch 195.995 mal zu probieren ?! :shock: (Den Spectrum den ich benutze, ist ein Toastrack).

Update: Habe mal einen anderen Toastrack probiert, da der erste bei mir mit "Dandanator 2.0 Mini geht nicht" beschriftet war :roll:
Dann war zuerst auch nichts besser. Zuletzt habe ich dann die rechte Dandanator-Taste gedrückt gehalten und dann über divMMC/MNI-Menu die mit der Software erstellte Update-Datei "dandanator_divide_romset.tap" geladen und siehe da, jetzt hat er angefangen zu flashen...

...danach hies es: Spectrum aussschalten und divIDE abziehen...

Zu früh gefreut: Wenn ich nun den Dandanator angesteckt habe, booten meine Toastracks nur noch in einen "Random-Coloured-Screen" :cry:
@Paul: Kannst du mir da vielleicht irgendwie helfen indem zu das EPROM bei dir neu flashen tust? Ich würde dir dann den Dandanator schicken und du könntest mir die Platinenschienen aus dem anderen Thread gleich mit zurück schicken?!

Update: Nun darf ich doch wieder lachen. Habe das ganze nochmals gemacht plus den Schritt "Update PIC" danach läuft mein Dandanator wieder und jetzt mit Firmware v6.5 :D
Schombie, Luzie, there was a communications protocol change (speed up) in 6.4. You _must_ update your dandanator firmware ;)

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 28.05.2017, 13:45

I'm a bit puzzled about the failure rate of the divide update @schombi mentioned.
Could you please give me some more details?

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 28.05.2017, 14:25

Thanks for asking, Daniel! Will do, once I´m back from Singapore (business trip).

Jungsi
User

Beitrag von Jungsi » 31.05.2017, 19:22

Strange things are happening :-)
Today I went to update my Dandanator V2.1 from 6.2 to 6.5
As my other Dandanator interfaces I wanted to try it with divMMC
But: none of my divMMC's is recognized - there are always colour blocks on the screen
That was on a Spectrum +48K

To do it a little faster I update the chip with the ROM file in an eprommer.

Next test on my +48K: not better - same blocks with divMMC

For fun i thought: let's try a 128K speccy (grey +2)
It's working with the divMMC and the Dandanator alltogher

Maybe a special problem with the 48K Speccy?

Luzie
User

Beitrag von Luzie » 31.05.2017, 19:38

Hallo Jungsi,

benötigt das divMMC nicht auch die M1 Line?

Hast du was zum Testen, ob du vielleicht einen 48k mit "Faulty Z80 M1 Line" hast?!

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 31.05.2017, 19:47

Hi, there shouldn't be any problem on 48k spectrums.

Most of these problems, if not all, happen for two reasons:
1) bad edge contacts.
2) too much power requirement from the 5v line. Divmmc and divides are power-hungry devices. Dandanator v2 takes much more power than v1 (x10), up to 75mA, due to the gal power compsumption.

In any case, you can force the update mode by booting with the right button pressed. This will leave the dandanator in a semi-disabled state.
This mode is automatically selected when a divide is detected on boot, but just to make sure it's not that....

my money is, anyway, on the edge/power stuff ;)

Let me know what you find!

Just saw Luzie comment about M1 line. While dandanator does not use M1, divmmc does. Is your 48k working with that specific divmmc?

Jungsi
User

Beitrag von Jungsi » 31.05.2017, 21:36

Yes - it's the same Speccy I made a few days ago the update with the Dandanator V 1.0 in the
same combination without a problem.
The divMMC is working without a problem on the Speccy. All the others are also working.
The Dandanator V1.0 is also working on the same Speccy with the divMMC without problem.
Only the combination Dandanator 2.1 - any divMMC (divMMC Future, divMMC enjoy, divSD nano, divIDE 2k11) have a problem.
All of them are working without a problem on my Speccy - no problem with M1 ;-)
Only working combination: Spectrum +2 - I can also try a Toastrack and another Speccy
Strange :-)
Right button: no effect - coloured screen
Maybe a power problem.....

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 31.05.2017, 21:46

It's a really strange problem indeed. Never encountered anything similar. I'll definitely check the +5V rail. Maybe that speccy's 7805 is a bit peculiar.

I've found cases where you need to power the CF card externally for the update to work reliably.
In this case, different SD cards have different power requirements. Could you test a newer SD card?
Also, those tests with another 48 and the toastrack will be nice. For the record, the Dandanator hw sees all those speccys as the same thing, because they only have 1 rom.

Edit: Just one thing... does the passthrough connector of the dandanator 2.1 work ok??. You could plug the v1 after the v2.1 and see what happens.

Jungsi
User

Beitrag von Jungsi » 01.06.2017, 20:59

The mysterious story continues :-)

I've found a working position for all Speccy (+48K/48K/+2) in the combination Dandanator 2.1 and any divMMC (tested: divMMC Future, divMMC enjoy, divSD, divSD nano)
If you let it have way out the divMMC's are working - if you push it full way on the connector they are not working :-)
Let's discuss.....
Dateianhänge
Dandanator 2.1 working position divMMC 128K.jpg
Dandanator 2.1 working position divMMC 128K
Dandanator 2.1 working position divMMC 128K.jpg (82.57 KiB) 4845 mal betrachtet
Dandanator 2.1 working position divMMC 48K.jpg
Dandanator 2.1 working position divMMC 48K
Dandanator 2.1 working position divMMC 48K.jpg (94.93 KiB) 4845 mal betrachtet

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 01.06.2017, 21:26

Strange, although I've seen that in some worn out edge connectors.
The dandanator 2.1 pass-through connector should be pretty much new, isn't it?. PCB thickness is 1.6mm which is enough for standard edge plugs.

It's clearly an edge-connector issue, but I can't pinpoint the root cause unless the pass-through edge is somewhat in bad shape.

Luzie
User

Beitrag von Luzie » 01.06.2017, 21:30

Maybe the slot in the Dandanator PCB is a little bit to long?

When you fill it e.g. with a little piece of paper is this OK?

Antworten