ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

SPC Club Forum
Grautier
User

Re: ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

Beitrag von Grautier » 16.10.2016, 18:18

Thanks Dan, for the very good and fast support!
I'm looking forward to burn the 6.0 ROMset :D and for the 2.0 Dandanators!

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 26.10.2016, 18:06

V2.0 boards are here! They work pretty good :)
Same functionality as the 1.0 board + Kempston joystick (can be disabled with a jumper) + eeprom write from spectrum via Audio or serial port-> kempston (1.0 mod already performed).
Same firmware for PIC and for Z80 so full compatibility among hw versions.
Dandanator V2.0.jpg
Dandanator V2.0.jpg (141.75 KiB) 3461 mal betrachtet
Dandanator V2.0 Plugged in.jpg
Dandanator V2.0 Plugged in.jpg (111.63 KiB) 3461 mal betrachtet
I'll be contacting those of you in the list for confirming posting and payment data during the week.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 26.10.2016, 18:27

Great! Will you contact us through this forum or on WoS? On WoS I often miss my PMs.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 27.10.2016, 13:56

schombi hat geschrieben:Great! Will you contact us through this forum or on WoS? On WoS I often miss my PMs.
I'll contact you guys in this forum ;)

Grautier
User

Beitrag von Grautier » 29.10.2016, 21:43

Good news!
Have you still my big order of 5 Dandanators from the 2nd batch in mind? :mrgreen:

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 29.10.2016, 23:07

Grautier hat geschrieben:Good news!
Have you still my big order of 5 Dandanators from the 2nd batch in mind? :mrgreen:
Absolutely :D I already have a big envelope for them :lol:

By the way, thank you all. There are now over 150 Dandanators on the field. Retroworks will most likely add another 200 for the Sword of Ianna launch.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 03.11.2016, 17:48

Version 6.0 available at the project website. It can now update the contents of the dandanator via audio or serial kempston (on 2.0 boards or modded 1.0 boards) and the simultaneous keyboard/joystick navigation on the games menu. This release works on any dandanator version and on any spectrum model.

Do not forget to update your board controller by switching on your Spectrum with both dandanator buttons pressed. To update your already created romsets, just load & save them again with this version.

Many thanks to overCLK for the million changes on the Java Program and to mad3001 for fighting the ear port until we got a nice audio load :D.

Grautier
User

Beitrag von Grautier » 06.11.2016, 11:34

Thanks Daniel for the absolute brilliant and easy to use Software and Hardware! I've burned the 6.0 on the EEPROM, updated the Pic and loaded a ROMSet with the EAR-Socket in my Harlequin 48k from my Macbook without any problems!
Dand_pic1 - 1.jpg
Dand_pic1 - 1.jpg (172.43 KiB) 3360 mal betrachtet
Edit:
Ohne zu sehen, dass es bereits einige Videos der neuen Software auf Youtube gibt, habe ich noch eines von meiner ersten Benutzung der neuen Software erstellt. Schliesslich musst ich ja testen ob zumindest eines der Dandanatoren die für Baert sind, fehlerfrei funktionieren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZHUCq1k7w

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 07.11.2016, 00:13

Grautier hat geschrieben:Thanks Daniel for the absolute brilliant and easy to use Software and Hardware! I've burned the 6.0 on the EEPROM, updated the Pic and loaded a ROMSet with the EAR-Socket in my Harlequin 48k from my Macbook without any problems!
Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like it :D . Watch out for 6.1 that includes a turbo-eeprom write (2.3 seconds per 8 squares vs. 8 seconds in 6.0) and update from Divide for a blazing 40 seconds total update time. Also Joystick-Serial update is now done in 2 minutes.
Grautier hat geschrieben: Edit:
Ohne zu sehen, dass es bereits einige Videos der neuen Software auf Youtube gibt, habe ich noch eines von meiner ersten Benutzung der neuen Software erstellt. Schliesslich musst ich ja testen ob zumindest eines der Dandanatoren die für Baert sind, fehlerfrei funktionieren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZHUCq1k7w
Wow! thanks for the video!!

(Edit: typo correction)
Zuletzt geändert von Dandare am 07.11.2016, 13:17, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

msch
User

Beitrag von msch » 07.11.2016, 13:15

@dandare: thank You very much!
@Grautier: danke für das Video! Schönes Setup (mit dem Mac) und ein prof. Kabelkanal :-)
manche meinen lechts und rinks kann man nicht velwechsern.
werch ein illtum! (lichtung, Ernst Jandl)

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 07.11.2016, 13:40

Meine 2.0er Boards sind leider noch nicht angekommen :(

Der Postbote schaut schon ganz komisch, wenn ich ständig in den Paketwagen schiele...

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 07.11.2016, 13:50

schombi hat geschrieben:Meine 2.0er Boards sind leider noch nicht angekommen :(

Der Postbote schaut schon ganz komisch, wenn ich ständig in den Paketwagen schiele...
Hi Schombi, your kit is on its way. I'll email the tracking number to you later today :wink:

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 07.11.2016, 14:23

Cheers, Daniel! :D

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 10.11.2016, 01:19

Version 6.1 Released with the following changes:

• - Exports .TAP files for updating the dandanator boards from a divide (in 40 seconds)
    - New PIC Firmware. Faster boots and better peripheral configuration. (Please upgrade your board fw by switching it on while pushing the two buttons)
    - Every game can have its own rom from a list of all the roms included. (Shadow of the Unicorn anyone ;) )
    - Much faster eeprom write
    - Corrected a rare bug in XP when updating the romset through the kempston interface
    - Fixed a bug when importing 5.0-5.2 romsets.
    - Known bug: Can't export ROM game to file. Scheduled to be fixed in 6.2.
Available now at the Project website

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 18.11.2016, 15:23

V2.0 PCB Schematics (kicad), gerber files and Gal equations available at the project website

6.2 version with improved audio and z80/pic new source code coming soon... :)

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 18.11.2016, 15:24

schombi hat geschrieben:Cheers, Daniel! :D
Hi Schombi,
all kits but yours are already at their destination. Got it already?

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 18.11.2016, 19:23

The kits just arrived today. God only knows why it took almost two weeks. Anyway, I´m happy now :D

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 18.11.2016, 19:32

schombi hat geschrieben:The kits just arrived today. God only knows why it took almost two weeks. Anyway, I´m happy now :D
Great, let me know how they work when you build them. Make sure to update the board with a romset from the latest version (PIC Update)
Cheers!

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 20.11.2016, 07:29

Got the first one soldered and, to my amazement*, it´s working. :D
Thanks again, Daniel. Great piece of hardware!
eins.jpg
eins.jpg (76.25 KiB) 3188 mal betrachtet
zwei.jpg
zwei.jpg (90.27 KiB) 3188 mal betrachtet
I may be blind, but I´m struggling to find the English manual. I wanted to update to V6.1, but I´d rather have correct information before trying.

*not because of the hardware, but due to my soldering skills.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 20.11.2016, 10:57

schombi hat geschrieben: I may be blind, but I´m struggling to find the English manual. I wanted to update to V6.1, but I´d rather have correct information before trying.
Congratulations, nicely done.

You're right there's no English manual, and even the manual in Spanish is outdated. We've adding so much functionality that when I was starting to write the manual, it was already outdated so I stopped until we have a long term version. That might very well be the 6.2-6.3 (Not yet released)

- about upgrading the board.

There are three ways of upgrading the board (two if you are in a +2A/+3 and below 6.1 in your current firmware)

- Divide/DivMMC: Only works in +2/+3 if your current fw is >6.0. Export your current romset to tap from the "extra-export to tap/divide" menu. Copy it to your divide. Plug the spectrum-dandanator-divide. Switch on while pressing the rightmost dandanator button (this will no longer be needed once upgraded, not even sure you need it right now :wink: ). The spectrum and esxdos will boot. Now select the tap you just exported and that's it.

- Audio: you will need an stereo mini jack cable between your spectrum and your computer. Load your romset in the tool and enter into the player preferences in the preferences menu. Tweak your values. A good way to start is stereoinv, 11.000bps not inverted phase. Now get to the game list and in the top left screen there is a blue button. Click it to reveal the player. Switch on your spectrum with the rightmost dandanator switch pressed. Type load "" in your computer and click play.

- Serial Joystick. You'd need a serial-ttl interface you can get from eBay for 1€ or less. Maybe 2€ if it's delivered from within Germany. Avoid RS232 signals, that will kill your gal chip. TTL signals is what you're looking for. Install the driver in your computer and select it in the romset player preferences. Now connect Gnd of the USB interface to pin 8 of the joystick and tx to pin 4 of the joystick. Hit "L.loader" in the spectrum dandanator menu" and press play in the player. You may want to send the loader from audio since 6.0 loader burns much slower and it's a bit tricky to sincronize the sending blocks. Or you can just send only the first block and, once burned, you'll have the new loader in your spectrum so you can start over.

Well, you now have a new romset, 6.1 in your kit. Now just switch your computer on with both dandanator buttons pressed.
It seems long and maybe difficult, but I asure you it's not :). We gave a lot of thinking to this to make it as easy as it gets.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. :D
You may want to try the new joystick navigation on the menu. I like it :). It will work with any atari compliant joystick or with a mega drive pad.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 20.11.2016, 11:52

Thanks for the explanations, Daniel. Still I´m struggling a bit. I went for the Audio option. I loaded a few SNA files and created a ROM. I then went to the player, pressed the play button and after I entered LOAD "" on the Spectrum it seemed to be working (although the colors didn´t indicate any progress):
drei.jpg
drei.jpg (84.66 KiB) 3184 mal betrachtet
However, once finished, the old games were still there and also V6.0 instead of V6.1. Also starting the Spectrum with both buttons pressed (which initiated a FW update) did not change anything. Did I miss a step?

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 20.11.2016, 12:07

schombi hat geschrieben:Thanks for the explanations, Daniel. Still I´m struggling a bit. I went for the Audio option. I loaded a few SNA files and created a ROM. I then went to the player, pressed the play button and after I entered LOAD "" on the Spectrum it seemed to be working (although the colors didn´t indicate any progress):
drei.jpg
However, once finished, the old games were still there and also V6.0 instead of V6.1. Also starting the Spectrum with both buttons pressed (which initiated a FW update) did not change anything. Did I miss a step?
Those green and black lines indicate that the data is not loading. If everything is done correctly the number should go from 1 to 16 and all the squares should be marked as finished.
Audio load at turbo speeds is tricky until all your parameters are ok.

- what spectrum model are you using?
- what cable are you using?
- volume and PC settings? (Note that other audio sources should be muted)

One you figure out what settings are best for you, the romset loader will remember them.
As a quick try, do invert the phase in the preferences and lower the bitrate a bit.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 20.11.2016, 16:29

Okay, next update. I finally got it working. Daniel's comments were really useful.

I first tried the audio attempt on a Spectrum+ Issue 3, using a stereo cable, the recommended settings and full volume setting on the PC. As the loader was loaded correctly, I did not expect the rest not to be loaded.

I then switched to the DivIDE approach. I set my DivIDE to +3 mode and added a port extender (I thought that´s less complicated than having the DivIDE after the Dandanator).
vier.jpg
vier.jpg (76.78 KiB) 3166 mal betrachtet
I followed your instructions, started the system with the right switch pressed and loaded the freshly created TAP file.
fuenf.jpg
fuenf.jpg (67.82 KiB) 3166 mal betrachtet
Bang, that worked. After a reboot the Dandanator was updated to V6.1
sechs.jpg
sechs.jpg (59.01 KiB) 3166 mal betrachtet
Once more, many thanks Daniel!

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 20.11.2016, 16:37

Great! That was the fastest way. 40 seconds I presume :).

It's funny we never tested your configuration. But it's nice to know it works.
The dandanator monitors It's pass-through edge connector to look for the divide and deactivate itself to avoid conflict in case the divide wants to control the rom space.
I see you're using a sort of port expander and not plugging the divide after the dandanator, in this case, right button on boot is mandatory. Otherwise you just load the tap an that's it :)
It also proves that, besides the hardware checks, we are doing things right on the sw side :lol:

Thanks for your tests!

Don't forget to update your dandanator pic by switching it on with both buttons pressed.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 21.11.2016, 07:10

Interesting, I did not know there was a way to check to for other devices and take preventive action. Cleverly made!

For completeness, I did everything with my black +2B and the port extender is an angled one from divide.cz

I´m very happy everything works.

If I find the time, I will test the Dandanator 2 with my CZ Spectrum.

Once I see the "6.1" on the start screen, I can assume that updating the PIC was done correctly?

Antworten