ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

SPC Club Forum
Dandare
User

Re: ZX Dandanator! Mini - Cartridge system for Spectrums

Beitrag von Dandare » 21.11.2016, 09:07

schombi hat geschrieben:Interesting, I did not know there was a way to check to for other devices and take preventive action. Cleverly made!

For completeness, I did everything with my black +2B and the port extender is an angled one from divide.cz

I´m very happy everything works.

If I find the time, I will test the Dandanator 2 with my CZ Spectrum.

Once I see the "6.1" on the start screen, I can assume that updating the PIC was done correctly?
Thanks :). Yes, it checks for "upstream" (on the edge expansion) romcs activation and deactivates itself, if detected, to avoid conflict. It uses this detection at boot as well to enter a locked mode allowing its programming from divide without the need to use the right button on boot.

What you see (6.1) is the menu system version. The pic has an older version and should be updated manually.
Just switch on your spectrum while pressing the two dandanator buttons. You will see a message and a progress bar. It'll all be done in under 10 seconds.
This is probably the last pic update unless a bug is detected (there are just 4 program bytes remaining on the pic ;) )

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 21.11.2016, 20:36

Thanks for clarifying system version vs. PIC firmware. I did the update procedure, but is there a way to verify the version that is on the PIC?

Too much work and dealing with Sinclair stuff at the same time doesn´t go well together. I totally forgot that my CZ Spectrum still has faulty RAM, so I cannot test right now --> goes to my to-do list.

If this is of any help: I tried the Dandanator 2.0 on one of my Spectrum+, Spectrum +2 (grey) and +2B (black) and it worked fine on all of them. I can also test some other models, if you want.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 22.11.2016, 00:55

I haven't implemented a "notify version" from the PIC back to the spectrum :). Keep in mind that all romsets include a PIC firmware, the latest at the time of the Java program version and all PIC firmware is backwards compatible down to version 4 for all basic functions. When in doubt, update the PIC 8) . As I mentioned in my last post, the PIC firmware will not likely include any new functionality in the future, only bug fixes since I ran out of space already. Anyway, there is nothing left out from my list ;). I think its pretty much completed.
Sorry to hear about that CZ. You'll have some fun fixing it for sure :)
Thank you very much for the tests, good to hear they work fine. I tweaked a bit the boot procedure for a faster boot by doing a shorter reset (the PIC does the reset). This is the "safe" shorter reset I'm comfortable with, now 200ms.

We do keep a list of tested systems. So far everything tested ok. This is the list:
- Sinclair Spectrum 16k (Only ROMs work -> switch on while pressing the left button)
- Sinclair Spectrum 48k
- Sinclair Spectrum 48k+
- Sinclair Spectrum 128k "toastrack"
- Sinclair Spectrum 128k +2 "grey"
- Sinclair Spectrum 128k +2a/+2b
- Sinclair Spectrum 128k +3
- Inves Spectrum 48k
- MicroDigital TK90
- MicroDigital TK95
- Timex Sinclair 2048
- Timex Sinclair 2068
- Harlequin Rev. D
- Harlequin Rev. F
- Harlequin Rev. G
- Harlequin mod 128k
- Just Speccy 128 -> Need to disable the JS internal divsd interface

Looking forward to add that CZ of yours!

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 24.11.2016, 07:57

Auf Facebook wurde ein Link zu einem druckbaren Gehaeuse fuer den Dandanator gepostet:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1912198

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 26.11.2016, 20:04

Daniel, what´s the meaning of a bomb icon in the top left corner of the Eprom writer?
Zuletzt geändert von schombi am 27.11.2016, 06:16, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 26.11.2016, 22:29

schombi hat geschrieben:Daniel, what the meaning of a bomb icon in the top left corner of the Eprom writer?
Hi, it's a wink at the ATARI ST bombs ;) --> bomb is bad, so it means dandanator not found or dandanator locked.
It happens when the dandanator is not ready to accept commands.

Older firmware versions did not support eeprom updating, so the firmware was not prepared for that. Starting from 6.0 all romsets contain a firmware capable of self-programming (you need to update your PIC microcontroller the usual way, switch on your spectrum with both dandanator buttons pressed) All 2.0 boards come with 6.0 or higher firmware, so they can all be programmed from Audio/Joystick. From 6.1 you can also use a Divide/divMMC
Unfortunately, older 1.0 boards need to be updated to support this and this update can only be done externally, either by a PIC programmer or by an eeprom programmer (storing a 6.0-6.1 romset). These boards where not intended to support this in the first place, that's why you need to do a hw mod on them ;)

Now, if your romset is 6.0 or 6.1 and your PIC is updated to any of these versions there are three ways to load a new romset:
1) Via audio: You need to switch on your spectrum with the right dandanator button pressed (that puts the dandanator into a self programming compliant mode) Failure to start the procedure with this method will cause a bomb.
2) Via Joystick-Serial: Your romset will most likely have a L.Loader entry. Press L and send the new games from the java program
3) Using a divide/divmmc (ONLY 6.1 or higher firmware to be reliable). Connect Spectrum-Dandanator-Divide. Export Divide/tap from the Java Romset creator menu. Copy that tap to your divide. Switch on your spectrum, it will boot the divide and go to the system prompt. Load the tap using the esxdos menu. Type load"" and that's it.

Hope that helps!!
Cheers,
DL.

PS: I'm moving to a new house starting yesterday, actually, so I'm going to be AFK a lot during the next couple of weeks

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 27.11.2016, 06:30

Thanks for the explanations. Good to know.

Looks like I did something wrong, when I wanted to program new ROMs on my Dandanator 2.0 (DivIDE approach). I need to check and try again - just got confused by this bomb thing :)

A few more questions:
- Did I get you right that the DivIDE approach is only available on the black +2 / +3? Why´s that?
- The file dialogs of the ROM creator does not use any extensions; so it has no filters when e.g. loading a file or saving a romset. Is that intensional? Will it be changed?
- Which file types are actually supported on the ROM creator? Often Z80 and SNA work, but for whatever reasons, some generate an error message. Will any other extension work or is it in the planning?

All the best for your move! I moved five times in twelve years and moving house IMHO is almost as pleasant as a root filling at the dentist... :wink:

Paul
User

Beitrag von Paul » 27.11.2016, 08:47

schombi hat geschrieben: All the best for your move! I moved five times in twelve years and moving house IMHO is almost as pleasant as a root filling at the dentist... :wink:
But that won't take as long as moving; :mrgreen:
Theoretisch ist zwischen Theorie und Praxis kein Unterschied.
Praktisch allerdings wohl.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 27.11.2016, 08:51

Hi, quick note before I go back to the boxes ;)

Divide update works in any spectrum from 6.1 (in fact +2a, +3 support came a bit later). If you are getting a bomb, maybe you are not connecting the divide on the edge expansion of the dandanator. If this is your setup, please use the right button in your dandanator when switching on your spectrum, as you would do for an audio update.

You are correct, the Java tool does not use filters or extensions. I'll talk to overCLK and see if I can convince him of this. He's a hardcore Linux guy that doesn't really believe in this extension thingy ;)

6.0/6.1 versions does reject, by default, z80 files that are captured with extra HW (if1, mgt...). This has changed in 6.2(not released yet). 6.2 also includes experimental tap support with loading screen autodetection.
To overcome this limitation in 6.1 p, drag the game to the tool and, once the game is over the list, press alt-key and drop the game while keeping the key pressed.

Thanks for your support, :) to ease things a little it's been pouring down for days now in Madrid :/
Cheers!

PS: make sure your PIC is updated to the latest version -> tuen on your spectrum with both buttons pressed and a 6.1 romset loaded in the dandanator. This will load the pic with the latest firmware.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 27.11.2016, 11:08

Thanks! Really looking forward to V6.2. TAP support would be great.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 05.12.2016, 21:29

Gehäuse (in PLA Material) ist heute angekommen. Gefällt mir gut.
Dandanator case.jpg
Dandanator case.jpg (74.06 KiB) 4233 mal betrachtet

msch
User

Beitrag von msch » 07.12.2016, 11:46

Das ist aber nicht das Gehäuse, welches oben verlinkt ist. Wo bekomme ich die STLs hierfür?
manche meinen lechts und rinks kann man nicht velwechsern.
werch ein illtum! (lichtung, Ernst Jandl)

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 07.12.2016, 13:20

Doch, ist es. Das Zip File von Thingiverse beinhaltet 2 Varianten des einen Gehäuseteils; einmal mit und einmal ohne Loch für den Zugang zum Hauptchip. Da sich der Dandanator aber so einfach programmieren lässt, habe ich die Variante ohne Öffnung gewählt.

msch
User

Beitrag von msch » 07.12.2016, 13:27

Auf dem Bild sieht es aus, als seien rund um die Buttons "Augen", also Vertiefungen - das kann ich in den verlinkten Daten nicht erkennen. Oder täuscht das nur?

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 07.12.2016, 13:36

Ich sitz jetzt nicht davor, aber IMHO ist das Gehäuse hier plan. Normalerweise steckt der Dandanator ja auch horizontal am Speccy, nur ich nutze so eine Art Currah uSlot, daher ist das Interface fast senkrecht.

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 08.12.2016, 20:05

Hier noch ein Bild:
dandanator_case2.jpg
dandanator_case2.jpg (37.58 KiB) 4134 mal betrachtet

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 02.01.2017, 14:41

Hi,
all components in already. Ready to start sending kits :)

Also, v6.2 will be put online soon. It includes an experimental (48k only for the moment) TAP loader with screen detector so It will create the snapshot with the loading screen ;)

Happy 2017!

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 02.01.2017, 16:25

Glad you´re back, Daniel. Happy new year to you as well.

Please let us know once V6.2 is available.

msch
User

Beitrag von msch » 03.01.2017, 13:04

...great News! Can't wait for my Dandanator 2.0 with 6.2 firmware ;-)

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 06.01.2017, 12:38

Hi all and happy 2017!

Dandanator Romset creator 6.2 beta is up. It includes experimental TAP support (both rom-based and custom loaders, 48k only so far) with loading screen autocapture.
Get it at http://www.dandare.es/Proyectos_Dandare ... ts_EN.html

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 06.01.2017, 13:18

Fantastic! Will try it out today.

Update: Updated to V.6.2 successfully. 48K TAP loading works like a charm. Thanks a lot!
Dan62.jpg
Dan62.jpg (68.91 KiB) 3407 mal betrachtet

Paul
User

Beitrag von Paul » 11.01.2017, 16:28

Falls jemand seinen Dananator 1 noch nicht gelötet hat:
Ich habe noch Dandanator 2.0 Leerplatinen. Die zu nutzen ist ggf. sinnvoller als dem 1.0 ein Upgrade zu verpassen.
Theoretisch ist zwischen Theorie und Praxis kein Unterschied.
Praktisch allerdings wohl.

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 16.01.2017, 20:20

Aventuras AD was a Spanish software house that released several text adventure games for many 8 and 16 bits computers. They were, and still are, quite popular in Spain (well, the games are in Spanish ;) )
Former Director and owner of the rights, Andres Samudio, has sent me a letter giving his support to the Dandanator Project and his express consent to distribute their full catalogue on the Dandanator for Spectrum.

Thanks a lot, Andres!

So if you want to practice your Spanish, this is a good place to start :). Here is a link to a Dandanator Romset with all games released by Aventuras AD. It works on all Dandanators and all Spectrum models. It also works on Es.pectrum and ZesarUX emulators.

Romset Aventuras AD for Dandanator

schombi
User

Beitrag von schombi » 20.01.2017, 19:15

Daniel hat heute ein Update auf seiner Webseite:
v2.1b schematics released. All Kicad schematics, gal equations and gerber files for V2.1b boards now available at the downloads section.
http://www.dandare.es/Proyectos_Dandare ... ts_EN.html bzw. http://www.dandare.es/Proyectos_Dandare ... ds_EN.html

Dandare
User

Beitrag von Dandare » 16.02.2017, 18:47

6.3 version of the PC/Mac app released. Now supporting 128k TAP files for 128k/+2 and +2a/+3. Online now at the Project website

An online user manual in English is available online as well.

Antworten