ZX-Team Forum
msch
User

Re: Zxpand+ with Midi.

Beitrag von msch » 02.03.2018, 09:15

https://www.midi.org/specifications

http://www.music-software-development.c ... orial.html
MIDI Tutorial Part 9 - Resetting notes

As we have seen, all NOTE ON message should have its correspondingNOTE OFF message, otherwise the note will continue to sound forever.

There are cases where you want to reset whatever notes are playing. There are basically 4 ways to do this. Some synthesizer do not accept them all, so it is interesting to offer the different possibilities.

1 - Using MIDI controller 123

If you send a MIDI controller 123 on one MIDI channel, the synthesizer will stop all notes playing on that channel. To reset all MIDI channels, send that message for each channel. Please note that some synthesizer do not respond to this message.

2 -MIDI Reset message

This is a one status byte message 0xFF, without data bytes. It should reset the synthesizer to its power-on default, so it also stops all notes playing. Use this message sparingly, as it reset the full synthesizer, not only the notes playing.

3 - MIDI NOTE OFF

You can also send, for each channel (0 to 15) and each note pitch (0 to 127) one MIDI NOTE OFF message. This is the total solution, but requires a lot of MIDI messages to be sent, which may have some reaction time according to the MIDI hardware system you use.

4 - MIDI NOTE OFF - Optimized

In this case, use a table to keep track of the NOTE ON and OFF messages you send for each channel. A buffer of 128 bytes for each channel, representing the number of NOTE ON messages sent to that note,should be incremented by a NOTE ON and decremented by a NOTE OFF. Then, when you want to reset every note, simply go through that table and send a NOTE OFF to each note that is still playing.

Ansonsten: bin auf den Midi-Vortrag gespannt. Was der Zeddy inzwischen so alles kann, fantastisch!
manche meinen lechts und rinks kann man nicht velwechsern.
werch ein illtum! (lichtung, Ernst Jandl)

Joachim
User

Beitrag von Joachim » 02.03.2018, 09:56

Hallo zusammen!
Bitte nochmal für Dummies: ist der NanoSynth, den Heise beschreibt, ein Ersatz für ein Midi-Keyboard? Sprich: könnte man über ZXserial und Siggis Programm für den ZX81 dieses Teil ansteuern und über einen Verstärker Töne entlocken?
Viele Grüße!
Joachim

ZX80, ZX81, ZX-Spectrum, ZX96, ZX2000, ZXmore, ZX81NU, Blauer Engel, AX81

msch
User

Beitrag von msch » 02.03.2018, 10:06

Ja, so ist es.
Schier unglaublich, was hochintegrierte ICs heute können: Der SAM2695 ist ein mehrstimmiger Wavetable-Synthesizer mit Effekteingang und MIDI-Steuerung auf 5 x 5 mm². Unser NanoSynth-Board macht den Winzling Breadboard-tauglich.
Du benötigst übrigens noch den Optokoppler 6N137, der ist beim heise-Board nicht dabei. Den gibt es z.B. hier für 1 EUR
http://www.ebay.de/itm/310682529857

und natürlich eine MIDI-Buchse (und Kabel).

Ich habe alles und kann das gerne nach Mahlerts mitbringen.

Siehe auch:

https://www.heise.de/select/make/2018/1 ... 8964963894
Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-02 um 10.21.05.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-02 um 10.21.05.png (677 KiB) 1329 mal betrachtet
manche meinen lechts und rinks kann man nicht velwechsern.
werch ein illtum! (lichtung, Ernst Jandl)

Joachim
User

Beitrag von Joachim » 02.03.2018, 11:04

Vielen Dank für die schnelle Antwort, Mathias! Habe mir soeben das Teilchen auch bestellt. Hoffe, es kommt noch vor Mahlerts.
Viele Grüße!
Joachim

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 02.03.2018, 11:06

msch hat geschrieben:
02.03.2018, 09:15
2 -MIDI Reset message

This is a one status byte message 0xFF, without data bytes. It should reset the synthesizer to its power-on default, so it also stops all notes playing.
"MIDI Reset" klingt gut. Das werde ich dann mal probieren (@Moggy: do you agree?)

Siggi
Mein ZX81-Web-Server: online seit 2007
http://zx81-siggi.endoftheinternet.org/index.html

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 02.03.2018, 11:07

siggi hat geschrieben:
02.03.2018, 08:58
Hi Moggy
is there any MIDI-command saying something like "Shut up"?
I want to send such a command (or a fixed byte sequence) to the MIDI device (to switch off all sounds), it the user aborts the MIDI-player.

Maybe a BREAK-signal at the serial line would do that? A BREAK is a constant HIGH level at RS-232 (LED always ON in the MIDI optocoupler).
It is sometimes used at serial links to indicate a special condition. And some serial driver hardware generates such a BREAK-signal automatically, if the connection is lost (r. g. a broken cable).
Is that BREAK also used for MIDI links?

Regards
Siggi
Yes Siggi the best way to do this is to send a GM reset command which is a string of bytes not a single byte (as far as I'm aware).
this has the advantage of not only silencing the instrument it also sets the device to a default state which is necessary when playing files one after the other which I will explain in another post if there is interest.

This site explains use.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/gm-reset/

The only issue I have with this page is that it says the string of bytes are systems exclusive which is not strictly correct as the message is a general midi one and operates in an identical manner on any gm device and there is certainly no systems exclusive on the 81! :lol:

In my version of the xpand midi player I asked Charlie to include this feature to send the code after a keypress for next song.
I include it here so you can see how he implemented it.

The program is self running and the input is asking for a song number to play, so just stop it running and disassemble the code and look for the gm reset message.

EDIT.

Another thing of interest is that no matter if you use the nano-synth or the dreamblaster s2 they both use the same chip and the chip has a software controlled 4 band EQ. Now if you can find a way to operate that then that would really be great.
Dateianhänge
SAM2695.zip
(287.46 KiB) 32-mal heruntergeladen
MENU.P
(1.49 KiB) 30-mal heruntergeladen

Jens
User

Beitrag von Jens » 02.03.2018, 18:14

Von MIDI selbst habe ich keine Ahnung. Ich könnte allenfalls was zu meiner (und Charlies) technischer Umsetzung des Players sagen.
Das wäre absolut ausreichend. Und ja, ich will... das Gerät nachbauen :-)

Gruß
Jens
Der ZX81 rechnet mit allem, nur nicht mit seinem Besitzer...
Neues aus der KI-Welt... Die Automate kann sich selbst essen.

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 02.03.2018, 20:32

@ Siggi

Siggi let me know when you you reach the stage of being able to play larger files because I see a problem on the horizon when just using a serial output only with no sequencer being used for a standard MIDI file.

There is more to MIDI than just dumping an endless stream of bytes so without getting too complicated just now when you are ready I will give you a file to play and ask you how long it took to play it. If the timing is ok give or take some seconds then all is ok no need to worry further. if however the time taken is badly wrong then I will offer help on a solution for this if that is ok.

Regards.

Moggy.

SirMorris
User

Beitrag von SirMorris » 02.03.2018, 23:10

This is the raw midi byte sequence I use for GM RESET:

BYTE far gmReset[] = {
0xF0,0x7E,0x7F,0x09,0x01,0xF7
};

C

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 03.03.2018, 14:27

moggy hat geschrieben:
02.03.2018, 20:32
@ Siggi

Siggi let me know when you you reach the stage of being able to play larger files because I see a problem on the horizon when just using a serial output only with no sequencer being used for a standard MIDI file.

There is more to MIDI than just dumping an endless stream of bytes so without getting too complicated just now when you are ready I will give you a file to play and ask you how long it took to play it. If the timing is ok give or take some seconds then all is ok no need to worry further. if however the time taken is badly wrong then I will offer help on a solution for this if that is ok.

Regards.

Moggy.
Hi Moggy
the timing behaviour should be nearly identical to that of Zxpand-Midiplayer: video frames @ 50 Hz trigger blocks of bytes, which are then sent with full speed to MIDI (works with player V0.01). The input file is nearly identical to Charlie's MZX files , except without "hot air" and support of blocks > 256 Byte (16 Bit block length stored in file).

Current state is: streaming is implemented in the USB driver. The player reads that stream and forwards its to MIDI.
Thats works as expected, but only when I go in singlestep-mode (using ASDIS) through the player and the USB driver.
If ther are running in realtime, the USB firmware (in VDRIVE2) seems to get confused and no more data are coming from USB :(
There seems to be a timing problem in the VDAP firmware of VDRIVE2 ...
Debugging goes on ...

Regards
Siggi

@Charlie: Reset works also as expected. Thanks

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 03.03.2018, 19:44

@Siggi

Ah this sounds good. :D

I have attached a file which I use to test any new MIDI device/sequencer get. The size is very large but that is not important nor are the instruments what is important is that the file contains a "conductor" track which speeds up or slows down the music in various parts whilst retaining time signature,this is absent in a lot of MIDI files.
Some very old sequencers cannot read this track and will play the file at a fixed tempo and as the ZX81does not posses a sequencer it therefore has no means of reading this track so should play this file at a fixed non variable speed.

Charlies method seems to get around this by spacing the notes in the manner of a simple tracker to give the impression of varying tempo but as it is no longer a MIDI file I cannot understand what is happening.
Your method keeps the original file intact so is easier to understand for myself.

The transmitting device may send the information at a fixed data rate 31250 bits per second but it is the sequencer reading the conductor track which determines how it is played back regardless of the fixed data rate.

Can you please play it and let me know how long it takes to play?

I understand the Zeddy clock is not top of the range compared to PC so I'm not bothered about seconds or even half a minute I just need to understand what is happening.
Dateianhänge
RHAPSO~1.zip
(115.64 KiB) 28-mal heruntergeladen

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 11.03.2018, 19:49

Hi Moggy
here the result of my first attempt (please note: NOVA is patched to give a video frame rate of approx 50 Hz, but not optimized):
the duration I measured was 53 min 25 s.
What is the expected duration (or duration using ZxPand)?

File sizes: MIDI: 302 kB, aftere conversion: 362 kB

Regards
Siggi

IMG_0029_640x480.JPG
IMG_0029_640x480.JPG (71.72 KiB) 1106 mal betrachtet

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 12.03.2018, 15:49

siggi hat geschrieben:
11.03.2018, 19:49
Hi Moggy
here the result of my first attempt (please note: NOVA is patched to give a video frame rate of approx 50 Hz, but not optimized):
the duration I measured was 53 min 25 s.
What is the expected duration (or duration using ZxPand)?

File sizes: MIDI: 302 kB, aftere conversion: 362 kB

Regards
Siggi

IMG_0029_640x480.JPG
Hi Siggi.

Many thanks for taking the time for this. :D

The reason I chose this file is because the xpand struggles badly with it when converted and I was hoping that your method of playing the file would cure it.

The file should take about 16 minutes when played via a PC based sequencer which will read the conductor track and any controller information separately from the note information.
The ZX81 has no means of doing this without special software so what I suspect is that the 81 is treating the conductor/controller information as MIDI events and is trying to fit them into the allotted time frames along with the notes and in doing so is slowing down the song.

What I shall do is create a version of this file with the conductor/controller information removed and post it here for re-testing and will also try it on the xpand.

If the file then plays reasonably well then the answer would seem to be that the files should have minimal controller information in the file and a fixed tempo conductor track which is not a problem as there are 1000's of MIDI files that work this way.

Many thanks again for this Siggy. :D

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 12.03.2018, 19:10

moggy hat geschrieben:
12.03.2018, 15:49
The reason I chose this file is because the xpand struggles badly with it when converted and I was hoping that your method of playing the file would cure it.
Hi Moggy,
as I already wrote: the timing of my player should be (nearly) the same like Charlies player. I did not change anything in the coversion of the MIDI file that Charlie has done. I only changed to output format of the written file to allow longer data blocks (>256 Bytes) and to avoid the "garbage" (hot air) in the file (as I understood, Charlie fills up and datablock to length 256 Byte to make handling of the datastream easier for ZxPand's PIC). So it does not contain any mor MIDI information.
The ZX81 has no means of doing this without special software so what I suspect is that the 81 is treating the conductor/controller information as MIDI events and is trying to fit them into the allotted time frames along with the notes and in doing so is slowing down the song.
The Z80 is busy doing the dataflow from USB/SD to MIDI, using the 50 Hz video "clock" for raw timing. Thus it is not able to do more (e. g. timing adaption). This is done within Chalie's MIDIMASH program (within that part I did neither modify nor understand :wink: ). So maybe Charlie could add this additional timing conversion into his MIDIMASH program (he knows his program better than I do :D )?

Regards
Siggi

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 12.03.2018, 20:45

Hi Siggi.

QUOTE....

"I did not change anything in the coversion of the MIDI file that Charlie has done. I only changed to output format of the written file to allow longer data blocks (>256 Bytes) and to avoid the "garbage" (hot air) in the file (as I understood, Charlie fills up and datablock to length 256 Byte to make handling of the datastream easier for ZxPand's PIC). So it does not contain any mor MIDI information...."

This is good to hear Siggi as it tells me the problem lies in the method of conversion that Midi Mash uses. I have spoken to Charlie about this method before which gives each note a place in the time frame of the music. The problem with this is that other information contained in the song has to occupy the same place in the time frame as the notes so instead of playing at the correct speed the song plays very slowly as it is having to try and process this excess data which you cannot hear, which on a PC sequencer is handled differently.

If it were possible to transmit a MIDI file from the USB/SD or whatever (that has not been converted in any way just a pure MIDI file) to the sound module at a steady 31k or near enough then it should play at a reasonable speed and even though it will still ignore the "conductor" this will not matter for most MIDI files.

I shall contact Charlie and see if there is a solution to this in the mean time try this version of the file that has had all extra MIDI data removed and plays at one strict tempo, Ignore the instruments some of which are wrong only the song itself is important.
It should take 15 min or so to play so if it still takes longer just as before then the problem is most likely to be Midi Mash and its method of conversion.

Regards.

Moggy.
Dateianhänge
test.mid.zip
(126.85 KiB) 22-mal heruntergeladen

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 12.03.2018, 22:08

Hi Moggy
I tried to convert the test file. But MIDIMASH (my Micromash) throws an exception and cannot handle this file. Did you try to convert it for ZxPand?
Midimash.jpg
Midimash.jpg (43.68 KiB) 1040 mal betrachtet
Siggi

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 12.03.2018, 22:34

Hmmm.

It is asking for a time signature which I cannot understand because I have set the file at common (4/4) time which should be enough. it would seem MIDIMASH is lacking something.

I haven't been on the zeddy yet so will try after this post.

I really need to think about this. :?

Regards.

Moggy.

Joachim
User

Beitrag von Joachim » 13.03.2018, 10:44

Der hier viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2399&start=25#p35133 und hier viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2399&start=50#p35143 beschriebene Wavetable-Synthesizer funktioniert mit Siggis Schaltung und Programm einwandfrei. Wir haben das in Mahlerts getestet. Wer also kein MIDI-taugliches Keyboard hat oder ohnehin nichts damit anfangen kann - so wie ich, ist mit dem Teilchen gut bedient. Wie beschrieben muss man sich noch den Optokoppler und die Din-Buchse besorgen. Dabei muss man darauf achten, dass es eine um 180° gedrehte Buchse ist, so wie es sie z.B. hier https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ ... MABP5S.png gibt. Ich habe an den Audioausgang zwei Aktivboxen gehängt. Desweiteren braucht man noch neben Siggis Stromschleife mit Din-Buchse eine Spannungsversorgung von 5 V und ein Audio-Din-Kabel (Stecker-Stecker).
Nun warte ich noch auf Siggis Programme und hoffe, viele Midi-Files zu finden. Vielleicht kommt es ja auch zu einem Austausch hier im Forum.
P1060585.jpg
P1060585.jpg (97.29 KiB) 1001 mal betrachtet
Viele Grüße!
Joachim

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 13.03.2018, 15:51

siggi hat geschrieben:
12.03.2018, 22:08
Hi Moggy
I tried to convert the test file. But MIDIMASH (my Micromash) throws an exception and cannot handle this file. Did you try to convert it for ZxPand?

Midimash.jpg

Siggi
Something strange is happening because when I tried to convert this file I got a different error!?!

No matter as I think I have found out what is happening with this "complex" kind of MIDI file that contains tempo data.

The Midimash program consists of two parts. one converts the MIDI into a .TXT file then the second program converts the .TXT file to a .ZXM file.

With the first file (.TXT) all the tempo change data is created as well as the note data. The amount of tempo data created in our example file is absolutely far in excess of what is needed to play the song, almost as many tempo changes as song notes but this is of no concern.

The problem I have found, after experimenting with the tempo data, is that the second part of MidiMash which creates the .ZXM file seems to copy the FIRST PIECE OF TEMPO DATA ONLY. into its structure. This means whatever tempo the song starts at it will play at the same rate all the way through. In the case of our example song Rhapsody In Blue, the clarinet introduction starts at a very slow rate and then the song should speed up but in our case the entire song plays just as slowly because the remaining tempo data is either missing or ignored. I deleted all the tempo data in the song except for one piece of data making the song set to play at a moderate speed to the finish and was successful in this.

CONCLUSION.

What does this mean for us?

Well we are fortunate that out of the 1000's of MIDI files in the world relatively few contain these complex changes of tempo and most popular pieces are of one fixed tempo, orchestral works and some jazz compositions being the exception.
I have converted just short of a thousand MIDI files for the ZXpand and have no problems with tempo changes in the vast majority of these files so I cannot see this being a problem for anyone else and the problem of multi tempo pieces and MidiMash is something I will discuss with Charlie in the future and should be just thought of as a curiosity at this time. :D

I have tried to keep this as simple as possible and if anyone has any questions about MIDI sequencing etc I will be glad to help.

Regards.

Moggy.

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 13.03.2018, 16:32

Hi Moggy
just some minor "technical" (not MIDI) corrections (to avoid confusion about what we are talking):
moggy hat geschrieben:
13.03.2018, 15:51
siggi hat geschrieben:
12.03.2018, 22:08
Hi Moggy

Midimash.jpg

Siggi
Something strange is happening because when I tried to convert this file I got a different error!?!

No matter as I think I have found out what is happening with this "complex" kind of MIDI file that contains tempo data.

The Midimash program consists of two parts. one converts the MIDI into a .TXT file then the second program converts the .TXT file to a .ZXM file.
No. The "conversion process" consists of 2 parts and is done within a batch file! The first step is the conversion into text, the second step conversion into Zeddy-format :mrgreen:
With the first file (.TXT) all the tempo change data is created as well as the note data. The amount of tempo data created in our example file is absolutely far in excess of what is needed to play the song, almost as many tempo changes as song notes but this is of no concern.
That first conversion into readable text (CSV format) is done by a program (somewhere in the internet) called "midicsv". It is NOT part of Charlie's MIDIMASH program.
The problem I have found, after experimenting with the tempo data, is that the second part of MidiMash which creates the .ZXM file seems to copy the FIRST PIECE OF TEMPO DATA ONLY. into its structure. This means whatever tempo the song starts at it will play at the same rate all the way through. In the case of our example song Rhapsody In Blue, the clarinet introduction starts at a very slow rate and then the song should speed up but in our case the entire song plays just as slowly because the remaining tempo data is either missing or ignored. I deleted all the tempo data in the song except for one piece of data making the song set to play at a moderate speed to the finish and was successful in this.
Only that "second part" is Charlie's MIDIMASH program (source of my micromash program)!

See also Charlies's description there:
https://github.com/charlierobson/ZXpand ... /wiki/Midi
where he wrote:
Charlie hat geschrieben: Step 3.

MIDIPLAY is the last part in a small workflow which starts with a .MID file that you might wish to hear. The first part is some pre-processing of the raw midi file. Nab the 'MIDICSV' tools from the fourmilab website. MIDICSV converts the midi file into a human readable form describing the midi events and, crucially, their absolute timing. This event list is then further processed by a utility called MIDIMASH which builds a binary file in a form that is efficient for the zeddy to stream. This may then be ingested by MIDIPLAY.
CONCLUSION.

What does this mean for us?

Well we are fortunate that out of the 1000's of MIDI files in the world relatively few contain these complex changes of tempo and most popular pieces are of one fixed tempo, orchestral works and some jazz compositions being the exception.
I have converted just short of a thousand MIDI files for the ZXpand and have no problems with tempo changes in the vast majority of these files so I cannot see this being a problem for anyone else and the problem of multi tempo pieces and MidiMash is something I will discuss with Charlie in the future and should be just thought of as a curiosity at this time. :D
:mrgreen:
Siggi

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 13.03.2018, 16:37

We must be using different programs because I use 2 separate programs not one single batch file?

I call both separate programs MIDIMASH just for convenience.

The first program you mention can also be found in the Raspberry Pi repository.

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 13.03.2018, 16:45

I am using the bacth file "WINMASH.BAT"

Code: Alles auswählen

@echo off
setlocal

set IN=%1
set OUT=%~n1.zxm

if exist "%OUT%" del "%OUT%"

midicsv "%IN%" >temp.txt
midimash temp.txt

del temp.txt
ren temp.zxm "%OUT%"
I found there:
https://github.com/charlierobson/ZXpand ... /midi-mash

Maybe this is only used to for WINDOWS systems???

Regards
Siggi

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 13.03.2018, 16:56

Thanks for this Siggi, I have been using old program Charlie emailed to me last year I didn't know this existed!

What does the batch do? does it allow more than one file at a time to be converted?PC software is not my strong point. :oops:

siggi
User

Beitrag von siggi » 13.03.2018, 17:02

It does nothing more than you have described: it calls the 2 parts of the conversion (2 exe files) and handles file naming (renaming) and cleaning up of work files. It handles 1 midi file to be converted.

But I think it could not be too complex to write a batch file, which converts all midi files within the current directory (maybe coming soon :wink: )

moggy
User

Beitrag von moggy » 13.03.2018, 17:11

siggi hat geschrieben:
13.03.2018, 17:02
It does nothing more than you have described: it calls the 2 parts of the conversion (2 exe files) and handles file naming (renaming) and cleaning up of work files. It handles 1 midi file to be converted.

But I think it could not be too complex to write a batch file, which converts all midi files within the current directory (maybe coming soon :wink: )
I really hope so because I am converting each file in two separate steps at the moment and it is a pain in the behind! :lol:

Antworten